Can we all agree that the following things are universally irritating:
- People looking at their phone when they meet you for dinner or coffee.
- People talking loudly in a movie theater during the previews.
- People blasting rap music out of their car. For once I’d like to hear The Beatles.
- Anyone standing behind a counter not paying attention to customers.
What’s your pet peeve? Let me know in the comments because the poll feature isn’t working right now – another pet peeve – and in the meantime, let me update you on my #year60adventure list:
It’s been a great year ticking off various adventures, but also disappointing because I haven’t been able to get traction on certain goals, such as meeting personally with a Congress person, sliding down a fire station pole or working as a barista for a day.
That said, I’ve done some things that weren’t on my original list, so I’m counting those a win. Below are things I’ve completed, those still pending, surprises not on my original list that I’m now counting as completed adventures and goals deferred, delayed, or most likely, eliminated.
I think I’m going to save the “Free Hugs” for Thanksgiving in Texas, when I may be able to convince some of my family members – or my son’s fiancee, who seems up for adventure – to do it with me. It seems like that adventure would be better in a group.
- Joined University of Arizona cheer line for cheer practice.
- Hired by local paper as biweekly op-ed columnist
- Hiked Seven Falls in Sabino Canyon.
- Took not one, but TWO group painting classes.
- Professional photo shoot in the desert.
- Interviewed a stranger I pass frequently at the bus stop.
- Harvested honey with a beekeeper.
- Went roller skating.
- Had a civil coffee with someone on the opposite side of the abortion debate.
- And the latest: went to dude ranch for a week, where I spent a great week with Jax, my horse, saw amazing scenery, rustled some cattle, rode bareback and swam with a horse. Amazing. Too bad we shot most of the photos RAW and don’t have Photoshop so can’t turn them into jpeg to post here 🙂 But here’s a tiny bit of evidence.
Still to be completed:
- Go to a recording studio with my kids and record the Dixie Chicks song, “I hope”
- Ride along with a cop
- Be crossing guard at school for one morning
- Offer free hugs in public
- Start Dobro lessons
- Take tap some kind of dancing lessons
- Be able to play first two pages of Pacabel’s Canon in D with no mistakes
- Fold self in half
- Go to Goat Yoga (New!)
- Spend a half day Visit the Sister Jose Center
- Learn to edit RAW photos into jpegs. (Sigh.) (New!)
Adventures I hadn’t planned on:
- Learned how to make sourdough starter, keep it alive and make bread. Do it on a regular basis now.
- Went to a three-day bluegrass music festival in Wyoming where I went wild at a face painting booth:
And spent time with some old and new friends:
- Climbed to the summit of Sacagawea Peak in Montana!
- Visited Yellowstone National Park and saw wildlife up close.
- Hiked to the top of another peak to see the Grand Tetons, but they were clouded over:
- Volunteered at the local migrant shelter with asylum seekers, teaching ESL.
Deferred or eliminated:
- Get in-person meeting with Senators/congressperson
- Try belly dancing
- Be a matchmaker for local partisan/politicians
- Segway tour
- See a horse born at UA farm
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate.
- Serve on a local board.
- Invite the UA president to dinner
- Ride a train to CA
- Slide down a fire station pole
- Work as a barista for a half day
So, all in all, not bad. Fingers crossed for the remainder of the year and adventures. Now, I’d love to know your pet peeves in the comments.